Tuesday, January 3, 2012

writing 365 days a year

So it's the new year and you've probably made a lot of vows to write more. I didn't make any vows for writing because truthfully I'm kind of where I want to be for the New Year. I'm more just waiting for meetings to see how it all unfolds. But I sort of ended up making a vow, without even meaning to. I got an email from The Writers Store vis Script Magazine and it included a downloadable piece of paper with 365 boxes you could check off, one for every day you write. Since I can't figure out how to include it in my blog, all you really need is an excel document with 365 boxes to mark off.

The whole point is that you're supposed to x off each box, without having any blank spots without x's. I love that! I've always been a hard working writer and always write about 5 days a week; I always felt writing every day was too much, well, my husband did! LOL But when this came, I thought it was the most awesome thing ever! So I decided to start yesterday. My son was home and playing with my husband, so I thought, why not now? I didn't even think I'd write much, since it was the middle of the day and when my son's home he usually wants my attention for something. But I figured any little bit is better than nothing. And you know what? I got a lot of writing done and my son didn't come in for quite some time!

And then, at night, instead of curling up with a movie or script to read and analyze, I decided to finish writing. It was great. I got so much headway on the outline for my latest comedy. And I really don't think I would have done it without this chart. So, I'm going to share it with you. It really was a great incentive to start off the new year writing just right.

Now the article talks about how this was Jerry Seinfeld's idea. So thank you Jerry! It's a great idea. And the article also talks about how it doesn't matter what you write. But truthfully, I think it matters because it has to be what you really hope to have a career in. Because I blog, but that's not my career focus. So when I blog, it's just fun. But screenwriting is where I hope to make a living. Blogging is just an extra writing thing for me. Gosh, I'm an ad writer, I do that almost every week. That doesn't count in my book at all as my daily writing, because that's the career I'm trying to get out of. So be sure your daily writing is really your focus and your passion and not just some excuse to not write the thing you really love. That's at least my two cents.

But use it to really start the year off right

. I think you may just surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment