Monday, February 6, 2012

Of Mice and then some

Every so often you see a movie that has something so special and shall I say, tender, about it. Something that really pulls you in and makes you want to follow the characters and get a glimpse of their world. Well, I saw that kind of movie on Netflix instant stream. It's called Main Street, and it was written by Horton Foote. You might not know his name off-hand. But you do know his movies. He wrote Of Mice And Men, To Kill A Mockingbird, and a whole other slew of things you may or may not know. It starred Ellen Burstyn, Colin Firth, Orlando Bloom, Patricia Clarkson, Amber Tamblyn, and Andrew McCarthy. I know! What talent right? I don't know why I had never heard of this movie before. And truthfully, I think people who like good writing, really should see this film.

The story was about a small southern town that was once prosperous because of the tobacco industry, and now has not much left to offer since tobacco is no longer big business. It's about the people who have stayed, the people who are dying to get out, and what becomes of all of those who don't. Ellen Burstyn plays the character that the story really focuses on, having been born into the tobacco industry by her father. Now she's left with an empty warehouse and no money to pay her rent on her large southern home. She's pained by having once been from a wealthy family, and now saddened she's run out of money.

I don't want to give anything else away, as I really enjoyed watching it all unfold and think others will too. So I just wanted to give it a plug, because good writing really deserves to be honored. If you see this movie or have seen it, please let me know. I'd be curious your thoughts on it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment