Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My pitch meeting!

So, it was finally here. I'd spent the whole weekend preparing for it. The pitch ended up being 7 pages long. I was told by industry friends I needed to show the beginning, middle and end of the story. Show the character arc. Tell the theme. Give the beats of end of Act 1, midpoint, Act 2, and Act 3. Explain who the main characters are. Give a basic idea on what I really hope to tell once I write it. Okay, I got all that. Not a problem. I'd been sick all weekend, so that wasn't really helpful. But at least I was well enough for the meeting. I had to hope I knew my story enough to be able to tell it. It's really the passion for your story that gets a producer excited. And since I love screenwriting more than anything, passion is just natural for me. And this story, super excited. So what else do I need? So I go to the meeting and he's super busy. I wait in the office for a few minutes while he fields calls for a movie he's producing in two weeks, with no final cast yet! Yikes! It was interesting sitting there waiting as call after call came through and important industry people tried to get a hold of him. You'd see his assistants write on these dry eraser boards of who was on the phone, go into his office and see who got the, "Yes, put the call through" Or "No, calling them back". So I finally got to go in to the meeting and the producer said, "Tell me what you got for me". I said I have everything! He was like, "Great! You just made my life easy." So I told him the whole story. And he loved it! I even added a different kind of twist to it that I wasn't sure if he'd like, and he loved that too! It just goes to show as a writer, we have to trust our talents and our style and go for it. That's why they're hiring us, for our writer's voice. If that's your style, don't hide from it! So he only made one minor change to the ending, which I really liked. He tells me he wants to see the outline by Friday. Friday?! But it's Monday! But I tell him, yep, no problem! No matter what deadline he wanted, I'd meet it! I'd written an outline for another producer in three days, so I could do it again. I'd have to hunker down, but I would do it. If I was organized, I could use every minute of my day to get this thing finished. I was not going to miss out on this amazing opportunity to work with this huge producer I respected. So, I divided each day by acts. Monday finish Act 1. Tuesday get to Midpoint. Wednesday end of Act 2. And Thursday Act 3. Sure enough, I stuck to my schedule. I even had time to go to writing group and meet a friend for lunch! Just goes to show if you're organized, you can do it! I decided to sleep on it Thursday night, in case anything else came to me. But by Friday, I still felt this was the story! And sent it. Yay! Haven't heard back yet. His production on his film should have started this week. So I know he's got a lot on his plate. If I don't hear from him this week, then next week a little "checking in" email might be just the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment