Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Your own progress is what matters

I always do a year-end review just to check in with myself, keep myself writing, and inspire myself to keep going. We writers all need that from time-to-time, don't we?

Well, this year has been my most successful year thus far. But it doesn't mean I'm supporting myself with my screenwriting career just yet. I have a new writing partner and together we got a huge production company interested in our comedy that they've attached themselves to. They've sent it to a big director and we're waiting to hear if he's attaching himself. We also finished a WW2 drama that I'm co-producing with two really big producers. And I finished a third comedy feature that when it's ready, I'm getting to a really huge producer. Plus, I gained a manager for the first time because of my comedy that has interest.

But even though I have a lot to be thankful for, I'm still not where I want to be with my career. But I'm definitely on my way. And like I've done in previous year-end reviews, it's important for us writers to relish the positive. We writers tend to compare ourselves to others that are reaching more success, whether financially, screen credits, meetings, the list is endless! But we have to remember that every writer has their own path. What might be a success for one writer one year, could be the success another writer sees the next year. When one writer wins in a contest one year, another screenwriter can see success a couple years later in a different contest. So what I'm saying, is do not compare yourself to anyone but yourself!

Did you do better in a contest this year than last?

Did you write more scripts this year than last?

Did you have more meetings this year than last?

Or even did you just get your butt in front of the computer more this year than last?

Whatever looks like success for you, is what matters! Sometimes our success can look small when we compare ourselves to other writers. But if we compare each writing year from one to the next we can see how far we've come. And that's all that really matters.

So what did your success look like this year? Whatever it was,  use it to have a successful 2020! You got this!


2 comments:

  1. Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

    Well over 160,000 women and men are utilizing a easy and SECRET "liquids hack" to drop 2lbs each night while they sleep.

    It is proven and it works on everybody.

    Just follow these easy step:

    1) Take a clear glass and fill it half full

    2) And now learn this proven hack

    and be 2lbs lighter when you wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does a Screenwriter do? Screenwriters create screenplays for films. They provide the blueprint for the creative input of the Producer, Director, Production Designer, Composer and Editor, cast and crew. https://entertainmentdocumentary.blogspot.com/2017/07/what-does-screenwriter-do_15.html

    ReplyDelete