Monday, November 28, 2011

screenwriting NOT writing

So, I've been a screenwriter, non-paid that is, for about 10 years. I've been studying my craft and writing scripts and joining writing groups, and finding new ones, when I've outgrown the old. I've started blogs writing about health, women's groups, and now, screenwriting. I always wondered what I could blog about, and then I realized, write what you know! And that's screenwriting. So as I get closer to my journey of success, I thought sharing my journey might help and inspire other writers.

So, why today of all days when I'm not writing my script, is this the day to share? I guess because I'm sick in bed and tired of looking up websites that are boring me to tears! I'm tired of watching cartoons with my son who is also home sick. So what else is there to do? Blog!

So here's my journey as of now. I have a script with one really big production company, and with another small production company with large success. One seems interested in developing it, but is busy. Hence, why we got it to the other company. So until that happens, I'm reaching out to other production companies.

I'm playing email and sort of phone tag with another smaller production company, but also with nice success. He, from what I've heard, is great about helping people getting into the biz. Although I'm not super new to it, to me, if I'm not being chased down by Steven Spielberg, that means me.

I also have a feature with Disney. But since the manager who submitted it, is not really repping me, I have no idea what it's doing. Most likely collecting dust. It's been there all year. Sigh... I also have another script with an indie producer who has produced a few things and gotten noticed at film festivals. She's busy on her current TV show, so our feature film is on hold. But that's okay. I figure if she's not willing to work on it now, then I'm not interested in pushing it. I guess I'm also waiting and excited to hear from the "big" producer on when he wants to develop our idea. Hoping soon! But it's been a month already. Sigh, again!

So in the meantime, because I hate being a writer waiting, I've started another comedy. That's what I write mostly, by the way. I've finished the outline. Yay! And can't wait to get started on the script and characters. I'm starting a new writers group so hope to get the outline to them this week so I can do just that. My goal is to have the script written by end of year. Sure, that's aggressive, but why not try? I tend to reach deadlines when I make them.

I'm also trying to produce a script with a producer friend of mine. I was a screenwriting judge for a contest this year. And I found a script I knew my friend could get produced. She's produced a horror film that did well in film festivals and got on Showtime. So she said if I ever write a horror film, she's sure she could get it made. So instead, I found a script that I thought we could get produced! So we've emailed with the writer, and hope to talk to her this week and start working on that.

So, although I am not "writing" today. It sounds like a lot of exciting things in the works right? Hoping my day of rest today, will mean I'm ready and able to write tomorrow. I'm just not myself when I go a few days without writing. I'm a writer for gosh sakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment