Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Saving Face


So, I wrote yesterday that I was going to use my writing time and not allow myself to use the internet for facebook or emails, or anything like that. But the only problem is, I ended up freelancing all day so had to be online to work. So, that experiment really didn't get to happen yesterday. I am a freelance advertising writer, and not only did I have one client yesterday but two. So I was bouncing back and forth, online even, doing research and work.

Then, when I finally did get to stop, I saw a sale on photo books that I wanted to get my parents and in-laws for Christmas, that ended yesterday, so I had to do that instead. One could say that perhaps I was wasting time and delaying writing, but I don't think so. If it had been to do just any holiday shopping, I wouldn't have done that. And creating photo books is not a quick task, so it took up the rest of my night. So by the time I finally had any time to myself, it was 10:30.

But, I will say, instead of just getting into bed and turning on netflix to get my nightly dose of 30 Rock, I decided to force myself to write. So I think this is an example of how you can find time to write no matter what. So even though I could have just gotten all comfy, I knew I wanted to finish my outline. And it had been a week since I felt like I really worked on this story, so I felt tonight was the night if I was going to be disciplined. And I did!

And believe me, even in that little time I had, lets say thirty minutes, I was so tempted to check email, check Facebook. I think it's just a bad habit I've gotten into. Almost like a drug or addiction. Because it's just this awful habit where I just want to click there the whole time I'm writing. And I don't need to. So it was an interesting experiment to see if I could do it in that little amount of time. And you know what? I was able to. And I finished my outline! And I felt good about getting in some writing time. So you see, you can find the time. And, I still got to lay down and watch my 30 Rock.

So even though it wasn't the experiment I would hope it to be. I think writing can't always be planned the way we want. Life does get in the way a lot of time. But as writers, we need to make the time for it. Have to put it as a priority when all the important things are out of the way that have must do's.

No comments:

Post a Comment