Monday, June 4, 2012

Can a little multi-racial surrounding help my writing?

So since last week I've been freelance writing at an ad agency that's considered multi-cultural. That means it's 98% African American. I'm half hispanic. If you count my last name. But pretty much all caucasian upbringing. My one hispanic friend used to call me a coconut -- brown on the outside, all white on the inside. But being in this kind of situation has been really interesting. It's been fun to hear them quip back and forth and be surrounded by hip hop music as they concept. Their dialogue is mostly about African American musicians and comedians, which I must say I don't even know by name. It's really opened my eyes to how much I must not know about that kind of culture and it reminds me to open up my world more. Because we just never know where our next story will come from or what will inspire us. That's what I love so much about freelancing is I'm always in a new surrounding with new people and adventures. But we shouldn't always wait for that. So if you're not as fortunate to be bouncing around from job to job, force yourself to take new routes, visit new museums, go to new neighborhoods for lunch. You just never know what will open your mind to the next story that's waiting for you to write. I'm not sure I've found my next story since I've been here. But I can say that I've had a hell of a time laughing at the things they find funny. And if making me smile counts for something, then I think it's been a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment