Monday, June 3, 2013

Writing is like getting your heart stomped on

So you finally see your career taking off. You get to the point where producers want meetings with you. They want to read pages of things you're working on. You're allowed on the set, without being chased off! It's happening! And it's all so exciting. Only the problem is, it's scary too! You're finally where you've always dreamed you'd be. But once you're there, your dreams are on the line. It's no longer just dreaming. It's seeing your dreams happen and possibly be even better than you ever imagined!

It's enough to make your skin crawl and make your heart feel like it's going to jump out of your chest! But it makes sense. Being a writer means you have a passion for what you do. And passion comes from your heart. So your heart is involved and pulled and tugged. And the things you create, are from your imagination. They are your babies, as we've heard many times. So if someone is going to critique our baby? Oh my god, look out! That's going to hurt. So that's why when you're seeing your dreams come true in this career, you can feel so vulnerable. Because it's as if you're like hi, here's my heart, now take it, stomp on it, rip it apart, pour acid in it, and then give it back so I can walk around with this battered thing. Ugh!

I can feel it with the script I'm working on now with the producer I only dreamed of working with. And he's actually calling me back on a more frequent basis. For the longest time it felt like I had to remind him, hi, I'm still here, we're still working on this right? Now he actually has the time, and he's actually waiting for pages. But as I'm sending them, it's as if I were sending my kid on an overnight trip for a week! And believe me, I haven't even done that!

So what's a writer to do? Well, first thing, breathe. If you've got the attention of a producer, no matter what caliber, you're doing something right. So remember that! Then, remember, they want to make this film, they are looking to make something wonderful. And if they are placing their trust in you, it's because you showed them some sort of talent. Then, unless you had your cousin Sue write your script and you put your name on it, you obviously know how to write a script. Remember that! You know how to do this! You are in this place because you're supposed to be!

Even as I'm writing my script for this producer, I just keep telling myself, I'm just doing what I've been doing all these years. It's really no different. The only difference is that I care more what he thinks. But I can't let that psyche me out. I just do what I know how to do. And what I love to do! No more, no less. If I psyche myself out, I'll fail. So breathe, and write. And exercise! That always takes the stress off of me. And before long, you just may see your best script yet. With a producer who can actually get it made! Voila! Imagine that.

No comments:

Post a Comment