Friday, November 8, 2013

Do you take chances with your writing career?

When it comes to genres, we writers tend to get stuck in a type or genre of writing. Especially when it comes to film and TV. We hear that we need to form a body of work in order to sell and to have a career. But what if other opportunities present themselves? I'm one who believes that you just don't know where the next opportunity is going to come from. So I'm the last person to not try a new genre. So although comedy features were my favorite thing to write at first, I'm game to write just about anything! So when I found out someone wanted to read a sitcom from me, I partnered with a TV writer. I learned that I loved writing sitcoms and in fact it seemed easier to me than features! Then I found out someone wanted to read animation, so I partnered with someone who was good at this, learned how to do it. Now we're pitching animation shows and features. Then I found out someone wanted a sci-fi. This definitely wasn't my forte, so partnered with some sci-fi writer friends. So as you can see, it's okay to try new things. If worse comes to worse you find out for sure it's not your thing. But you grow as a writer, and there's nothing bad about that. We're writers. We're meant to be creative and try new things. There's nothing worse than seeing a writer stop themselves from success because they fear that can't do something new! In fact, I've seen it many times where a writer will have an opportunity and they say, oh yeah, I don't do that. In my mind I'm thinking, really? You could get a deal out of this, but you don't do that??? Just recently my new manager wanted to submit me for a TV show. Although it's something I love to watch, I wasn't sure I could write it. But I figured, why not? I was up for the challenge! So I told her yes, I could do it. And guess what, I've learned so much about myself as a writer. And I can already tell I can write this! Just because as a writer we haven't tried a genre, doesn't mean we are incapable of it. SO please, don't shoot yourself in the foot till you've at least tried! If someone is giving you the opportunity, do it! Take it! We only live once. So go for it! You just may surprise yourself.

2 comments:

  1. You never know what you might be able to do until you give it a try... I never realized I could write professionally until after my father died of a rare neurological disease called PSP. In his honor, wrote his story in fighting the disease from a nursing perspective, and the article ran in a prominent nursing journal - AJN. Don't be afraid to stretch yourself in your writing - it helps to get the creative juices flowing. Thanks for the article to prompt all of us to keep challenging ourselves. Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed, that's so interesting you got into writing after your father died. That's when I did it too! For me it was because I felt life was too short so I went on a journey to find what I love. Turned out it was screenwriting! I'm so glad the article inspired you to keep challenging yourself!

    ReplyDelete