Monday, March 31, 2014

Reaching out to old contacts you knew in the business

Okay, maybe not everyone knows someone who is in the business or who you met in the business at some point. But maybe some of you do. For me, growing up in LA I've had my share of meeting and knowing people that happen to be in the business. I rarely asked them to read a script as I've been perfecting my scripts. But recently I finally got the nerve to email a huge producer who's produced one of my favorite comedies of all times. He's friends with a friend of mine so read one of my first scripts early on in my writing days because my friend nicely asked him to. I now cringe at what he must have read way back then! LOL But even then he honestly told my friend, "she's talented, I wouldn't just say this, but tell her to keep at it". And, I did.

So recently I thought, I'm ready to show him something. Let me contact him and see what happens. I got his email and sent him a logline. I haven't heard back and who knows if I will. But it just goes to show that you have to reach out to people you know who can do something with your scripts. If it just sits with you, nothing can happen. If I don't hear back, maybe I'll reach out to him again with a different logline. He could either just be busy or not interested. But truthfully, what do I have to lose? I'm not working with him now. If I email him and don't hear back, then I'm still not working with him. But, if I do hear back, and he is interested, I've really gained a lot!

So, take a trip down memory lane and think if you have any contacts that you could email or call up to read your scripts. Even think of friends of friends. If you're ready, really ready, it's time to put those contacts to use. You just never know what could come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment