Monday, January 5, 2015

Break down your goals

So when we become screenwriters, I think it's safe to say that most of us think we'll write that one magic script, it will be our first of course, and then wham, we'll go on to being rich and famous, lunching with Brad and Angie of course, right? Yeah, doesn't work like that. Even when we read the trades that "Screenwriter sells first script!", I'm guaranteeing you that it was their first script they sold, not the first script they wrote. See, being a screenwriter whether in TV or film is not for the faint of heart. There is no overnight success. Even these young prodigies that might have some amazing writing career at lets say, 23, have probably been writing since they were five years old. I for one, did not hone my craft at five. And you most likely haven't either. So what's my point? That this journey might take a while and you have to be prepared for that. So instead of getting overwhelmed by it taking awhile, maybe you need to set many kinds of goals instead of: "become hugely successful screenwriter in 2015". Because if that's your only goal for this year, or any year, you might be disappointed and give up. So, instead, why not set up smaller goals, ones you can achieve.

For instance, if you're just starting out as a writer, perhaps your goals are like:
1. Take a screenwriting class.
2. Get an outline written
3. Write a first draft.

Maybe that's all you'll accomplish your first year.

If you've been writing a few years and have a few scripts written maybe it's goals like:
1. Enter the Nicholl's and other important contests
2. Find screenwriting producers I can query
3. Reach out to managers and get a script read

Because even those might not end up the successes you'd hope for. You might enter a contest, but not do well, query producers and managers and not hear back. So then you have to alter your goals again. Such as:

1. Take another screenwriting class to place higher in Nicholl's and other contests
2. Get yeses from producers to read scripts
3. Get managers to actually say yes they'll read a script

See the difference on setting goals? Instead of it being an all or nothing in your writing, make them smaller goals and adjust them every year. Every month if that helps. Because I've seen many talented writers drop out of this journey only because I think they thought it would be a quicker one than it was. But if you break down those goals, keep moving that finish line, eventually you're going to reach success. Doors are going to open. And before long, you'll have to tell Brad and Angie to stop bothering you to go to lunch, you're busy! :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Denise. I cherish wise advise from professionals. I have you and many others to thank for my growth of understanding as a writer in 2014. I was able to accomplish a lot of goals a writer last year except for getting that coveted request. But going into 2015, I am more prepared and confident than ever. My goal for the year is writing three screenplays which would give me a total of five screenplays to send out by query/happy writers and achieve that much wanted request. I have some out already so only time will tell with that. Thank you again and I wish you all the best, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antonio! I'm so glad to hear about all your scripts. Fingers crossed on 2015 success! I'm glad the post helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so well written and really struck a chord. I am not a screenwriter, but the goal setting and redefining what the goals are, hit home. Good luck with your scripts and I look forward to seeing your work one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm really glad you liked the post!

    ReplyDelete