Wednesday, December 14, 2016

You win some, you lose some

First the good news. I heard from a producer that's been involved in some decently sized movies and he emailed to ask if one of my shorts was available because he might be interested in producing it next year. That's great news, right? I was excited to hear, of course. But...

Then minutes later, I get an email from an even bigger producer who I've been working on a few projects with over the years, and he says, he loves my new draft, it's really funny, loves the setup, but the comedy is out of his wheelhouse and he's so busy on movies going into production next year he won't be able to work on this with me. What??? No! This has been a relationship I've literally been developing, writing scripts, pitching ideas, meeting. I thought for sure, this was going to happen! And now, nothing? Ooh boy. Not what I wanted to hear. That's a huge blow for sure.

So of course I'm bummed. It's part of this business, I'm sure. I get it. But no one wants it to be them when it happens. So, instead of remaining bummed, which would be an easy thing to focus on, here's what I'm going to do to get out of this funk.

1. I'm going to focus on the first great news of the day, that the other producer is interested in producing my short! Yay! That's great news! Let me enjoy that for some time! It's not a definite, but it looks likely. And even if god forbid it didn't happen, this producer still did email me that he's interested. That's good no matter what happens.

2. If I wasn't working with the other producer, maybe I wouldn't have gotten this script into the awesome shape it's in. I plan to get it out to whomever I can next year. So who knows what great things can come from this.

3. I worked with Pilar Alessandra, story analyst, like I wrote in a previous blog, and she is getting me on one of her podcasts. If I hadn't been getting my script to that producer, maybe I wouldn't have hired her. And then that great thing of being on her show wouldn't have been an opportunity.

4. And let's not forget, the really big producer really did love my script and found it very funny. Funny! That's huge! I can't let that pass me up. He works with huge writers, and yet, he still did love my script. sigh. And even though it might not happen with him, I'm not going to ignore the compliment.

I'm sure there are more great things too I'm not quite ready to see. So, instead of sulking. I'm going to work on the outline for my newest script that a huge production company has already said they want to see the script for. Because one of the most important things about being a writer is to always work on the next thing. So that's exactly what I'm going to do instead. On to the next great thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment