Monday, October 1, 2018

In honor of 5 Weddings: 5 Things I Learned Writing This Movie

So my first produced movie comes out this month, October 26, to be exact, called 5 Weddings. So in honor of that, I have decided to write posts called, 5 Things I Learned Writing This Movie. Get it? 5 Weddings? 5 things I learned? So drum roll, here is:

#1 - That I can write a script in 2 weeks! Before I wrote this script, I had never written a script that quickly. But when the producer told me about the project, she said can you write this in two weeks? And of course, I said yes, even though I'd never done it before. Because if someone has a deadline, then I meet it. I looked at it as a challenge that I would happily take on.

So I set myself a schedule in order to meet that deadline. I remember I had the weekend to write the whole outline and character studies. Then I had to pound out 5 pages every day, no matter what, during the week, for both weeks. And then on weekends, I wrote about 10 pages. For anyone who's written 5-10 pages in a day, it can be pretty exhausting. And doing that for two weeks? I was spent. Plus I had a one-year-old child at the time, so wasn't getting much sleep on top of it and didn't have a nanny so was really spending all day with my child and then writing at night. But anything can be done for two weeks. I remember being spent mentally at the end, but you know what? I had a complete script done in two weeks. And now, I know, if it needs to be done, I can do it.

So check back next time for What I Learned Writing This Movie #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment