Friday, November 23, 2012

Do you need a partner?

So, if you're a writer, you either have a partner, or don't. You've either thought about getting one, or have decided to always write alone. But maybe you're like me and you've had them at one point and written solo at other points. Maybe you're not sure if having a writing partner is or will ever be your thing. But I thought I'd write a post and help you see the positives and negatives about both. For me, I always thought I'd write by myself. Then a writer friend in my writing group years ago asked if I wanted to pitch to Disney with him. I was like, uh, yeah!!! So that's how it started for me. We worked really well together and I decided I really liked it. But after that project, it felt sort of like dating, and I wasn't sure if we should get "serious". Which means, can I ask this partner to be my one and only partner on everything? After that, we pitched a few TV shows together, and did really well together with that too. But, just like in a marriage, in a writing partnership there are two people with two totally different styles, not just writing, but in everything you do. So when you have a writing partner, you have to find ways to get along so as not to tip the scale of success towards failure. I noticed that my personality was always towards writing and constantly getting our work out there. My partner on the other hand, didn't seem to have the same drive as me. I think he took it as I was pressuring him, and I took it as very frustrating. So we decided to split up. So if you have a partnership, things can go sour. We didn't let it ruin our friendship and still keep in touch. But I learned a lot from writing with someone. He was a very talented writer and I know that my writing improved because of our experiences together. My motivation got us in to places that he would have never tried. But he had the experience of working on shows, so he was able to use those connections to get us meetings and a sale. Once we split up, I was actually nervous if I could be as good on my own again. It was almost like going back to the dating world as a writer. I'd have to go it alone. I realized that I could do it and in fact was even stronger as a writer this time around. I didn't lose anything I learned with having a partner, and in fact only got better. Then recently, I had the opportunity to get a TV spec to a Creator of one of my favorite shows! Since I normally spend all my time writing feature movies, I knew that it could take some time writing a TV spec by myself: getting notes from writing group, waiting to rewrite, etc. So I decided to partner up with someone new this time. It was an old friend I knew from advertising who only writes TV specs. We had never written together before, but I liked his writing and he was excited for the opportunity. He'd never written with a partner before, so was a little nervous how it would go. But we both gave each other the room and respect to spread our writing wings. When you are writing with a partner, I find it very helpful to let your partner do things that you may not think will work. Most times, people who read what you've written will agree with you and also think it doesn't work. But because you allow your writing partner to try it, then it's not you always telling them no. There's nothing worse as a writer feeling like you can't express your style. So both of us had similar work ethics, which was part of the problem with my first writing partner. So that was nice to see this time. Plus, this partner is a really strong writer, but not great at getting TV scripts out to the right people, which is something I seem to be fairly good at. So I guess I'm noticing that a partnership is good if both can bring something to the table. Now we've gotten our TV spec to the Creator of the show we wanted. Now we'll see if anything comes of it. I still have my features that I write by myself, and maybe that's a good thing. So I can write with someone for TV, but then can write by myself when it's a feature. It's sort of like open dating! But in writing. Whatever you decide is the right thing for you, if you haven't considered it, I suggest trying it on a project. You don't have to make it a permanent thing unless you decide it's exactly what you've been looking for your whole life. And if not, then you can always go back to being single. In writing, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment