Wednesday, November 21, 2012

How to handle the jealous writer

So if you're a writer, at some point you're going to come up against writers that don't want you to succeed. Occasionally I'll meet a writer like this who feels threatened by meeting any other writer, especially if it's a writer that they think might succeed before them. It really sucks meeting these writers, and truthfully, you don't always know that's what's happening when you do. What you might notice is you feel very insecure around them and start to doubt if you will ever succeed when you talk to them. If you notice these kinds of thoughts and feelings, then you know that's the kind of writer you're dealing with. Remember it says more about how they feel themselves as a writer, than how you should feel about your own writing. Once you remember this, then it's really easy not to let it upset you. If you're still not sure if you've come across this type of person, here's a few questions you can ask yourself. 1. Does this person make you feel insecure about yourself? 2. Does this person make you doubt yourself as a writer? 3. Does this person make you question while you ever became a writer in the first place? 4. Did you not feel this way until you started talking to this person? I think you can see where I'm going with this. So when you've come upon this type of person, ignore it! Remind yourself, this is all them. Not you. A confident writer in themselves will not make you feel less about yourself and your writing. Personally I believe that whenever I meet a writer it's my job to help them be successful. Because I think if they succeed, then my energy will help me do the same. I believe that we can't look at the world as "not enough" because then that's what will happen to us. I think that's something I learned from The Secret. And truthfully, I've noticed how it's helped me a lot in this world. The more people I help, the more they want me to succeed. I have seen doors open for me in ways others haven't and I believe it's because of that energy. In fact, I know it is. So when you're with another writer and you find yourself feeling insecure and doubting yourself, remind yourself it's them. And when you're with another writer, let them feel good about their writing and not insecure. I promise you, you'll see success come to you before everyone else. You just might thank me someday for this bit of advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment