Thursday, December 15, 2011

Strong hope

So my new writer's group, last night was our second official meeting. We don't have a name yet. I think we were going to talk about that last night. Oops! Oh well. Something for the next meeting. But what I have noticed, especially last night because I brought pages to read, is what a great and strong group this is going to be.



We all came from a previous group where I did learn a lot. But the four of us felt like it had run its course there, and as much as I still like the people there, it was just time to leave. So the four that are in our group, are all writers I really respect and can see that we are all really close to selling something, are all really passionate about writing, and really study the craft, a lot. That's not something you can find in your first writer's group, and I think it's something that perhaps as a writer takes time for you to mature and improve your writing, so you can notice that in other writers.

Heck I remember in my first writer's group we had no idea how to structure a group or what to really do. And then at one point that writer's group tried to join another, and the 2nd group was kind of like, what are you guys doing?! LOL So I guess we didn't know what we were doing! But you have to start somewhere. And each group I've taken something with me and grown and learned and gotten better. And now the group I have, I really do respect their feedback.

And after the outline I brought last night, I felt supported, and got great notes, and really felt they helped me understand what I need to do with my outline next. In other groups, that hasn't always been the case. I would of course learn how to find people that could help me out. But it's always such a problem when there's that other negative element I've talked about that just sort of ruins the stronger comments.

So I'm just glad I've got this new group. I really look forward to see what comes of them and us as writers. As time goes on, we hope to add other writers to the group. But only writers that are just as strong and passionate about their craft too. It's exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment