Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The new black

So I'm reading the black list scripts. I think I mentioned them earlier, for those who don't know what they are, they're the ones the industry has deemed their favorite scripts. The industry has a voting system and pick their top faves. Somehow every year I don't seem to find time to read them. Guess with my son a little older, it's a little easier this year. So I'm reading a comedy now, which is what I write. And it sure is fun reading and seeing a writer play around with the genre and format. I don't know about most writers, but I don't feel threatened by good writing, it just inspires me. I have a feeling some writers get intimidated by that. Maybe they don't. But for me, it really opens up what I feel I can do next time.

You always hear, the more scripts you read, the better writer you become. And I think getting a hold of the black list scripts does just that. So if you don't have the luxury of reading them yourself, just read scripts of movies you like. Even the ones you don't! Because those can be a learning lesson on what not to do too! I know I sure learned that lesson being a judge in a screenwriting contest last year!

And reading other people's good and bad scripts, you just might learn a thing or two. Or three. Or four...

No comments:

Post a Comment