Saturday, January 7, 2012

I'll have mine black

So today was a coffee out in the desert with this huge executive producer. He's actually friends with my step-dad, and has become a mentor of sorts of mine. Months ago he told me next time I was out visiting my parents, to come have coffee. So today was that day. Never really had alone time with him, so wasn't sure if we'd have much in common. But it went really smoothly and he was a very nice guy. It was really exciting being able to talk about movies with someone who loves the business just as much as me. That's when you realize getting into this business, with other people who have the same passion, is all about being with like-minded people.

He was very excited for me for all my successes that are starting to unfold. Gave me advice on what to expect. It was super awesome having his ear. Even gave me some advice on the movie I'm hoping I produce. He told me to let him know how my meeting goes with the producer I'm going to be writing with this month.

He even told me he wants me to write a comedy book with him! Who would have thought? He was supposed to write with this huge comedy writer, but she sold a show and is busy traveling the country now performing her stand-up. So wow, what an opportunity! He's going to send me what he would like to have in it and see if I'm interested. It could be a great opportunity, because he knows everyone in the business. So you never know what could become of it. So why not?

And we left parting with him saying, "Let me know when you become that big writing star!" Yes! Hopefully that's this month! But it just goes to show, you never know what kind of relationships can grow and what they can become. If you have the ability to nurture a relationship like that too. I recommend it. I've always read in books on screenwriting or any success to get a mentor, to call one up out of the blue and ask them to be that for you. I never had the guts to call a stranger. But I'm glad I have this man. And I never bothered him much. Maybe once or twice a year, when I'd have a new script, ask him if he'd like to read it, or just check in with him and let him know how my career was advancing. But that's the way to nurture this kind of relationship. You don't throw yourself upon these busy successful people. There's some people who are new to this business and go overboard with these types of people and then blow their contacts. But if it's casual, and not intrusive, there's no harm in keeping up with them as you rise in your success. And then someday, you just may see them offering you an exciting writing opportunity too!

No comments:

Post a Comment