Monday, January 9, 2012

Finding time for writing

I saw a writer recently write that no real writer goes to bed early, or something like that, because of the fact that they're writing so much they just can't stop. Well, I beg to differ. First off, that was a man that said that. And as much as there are equal rights in marriages, most marriages the women end of taking care of the kids more. It just is how it happens. Even if the guy does a huge share, which my husband does. But because of that, when you're a mom and a writer, you have to learn to write in a box of time. Time is definitely limited for a mom writer. But I've learned how to work in that box, and if anything, I think I've found how to benefit from it.

Being a mom, my child has been waking me up at around 6 am or earlier since he was born. And now with school, it's 6:15. Woo hoo, a whopping 15 extra minutes. So that means I need to get in bed by like 11 pm or forget it, I'm a zombie the next day. But that's okay, because I can write in whatever time there is in my life. I've learned I don't need a special time to write, like day only or night only or into the wee hours. If I only have 15 minutes in my day to write, then 15 minutes of great writing it will be.

Also, I don't feel boxed in to wait to have creativity strike me. I can be creative whenever that time slot is around. I know some people struggle to find that lightning bolt of inspiration. Who has time for that when you're a busy mom? I make that lightning bolt hit when I want it to hit. So I guess you could say I'm in charge of my creativity. Which you know, I think is pretty darn cool.

Also, I'd read somewhere that it's really good to end your writing each night with something great to write the next day. That way the next day you're not stuck staring at a black page wondering what to write. So since I'm on a timeline of when I'm writing, I always have something great to start off with the next day. I always know that the next night I sit down to write, I'll have it!

So, maybe some people have the luxury of writing whenever they want. But I doubt that's the average writer. And as long as you're writing every day, or at least almost every day, then eventually you'll have a finished piece of work by the end of the year. And in the end, that's all that matters. It's not when you write that matters. It's as long as you do.

2 comments:

  1. I agree totally that it doesn't matter when you write. I'm no good at all late at night for instance but I can really make it happen early in the morning. I know others who shudder at my schedule but it works for me! My biggest asset to writing however has been the idea of planned neglect which I have faithfully employed ever since I learned of the technique about 3 years ago. I recently wrote a blog about it because I think it is such a powerful way to ensure that we really make something productive out of our valuable time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great you've found your time for writing! And I loved your blog on planned neglect! I found that technique on my own too. But I had no idea there was a name for it!

    ReplyDelete