Thursday, March 22, 2012

Writing visually for screenwriting

How many times do we hear "show don't tell", "don't write on the nose", "be more visual". But do we really know what that means? And are we able to do it 100% of the time? I know for me, sometimes I have scenes where I'm really good at doing that. But then other times, I seem to not. And then friends will suggest better alternatives and then I think, "Oh yes! That's so much more visual!"

I think the key is asking yourself once you've written a scene, "How many different ways can I write this scene by not using dialogue at all?" Or if you do use dialogue, see if the characters can get away with saying anything but what you're really trying to say.

Even when I think I'm using subtext, sometimes I'm still not using the most visual way to explore a scene. Stephen Duncan writes an article for The Writers Store's website and he writes this,

Pick one idea (or make up your own) and write it in three different ways:

1. The first approach is using only spoken dialogue. Keep it short, around two to three pages.

2. Next, write the same scene using only actions and non-verbal dialogue. You need to translate the spoken words to recognizable visual actions and reactions.

3. Finally, rewrite the same scene focusing on improving the visuals, but this time write a single line of dialogue to capture the subtext (theme) of the scene.

You can take this exercise to an advanced level by writing a six to eight page sequence based on the same idea. Each scene should use the seven elements and the overall sequence should use the seven elements. First, try it using only the spoken dialogue, then using a single theme-defining line of dialogue, and finally write a sequence combining spoken and non-spoken dialogue with visual action.

I think those are all great ideas. When it's time to do a rewrite, why not try these exercises and see what happens. I always remind myself, doing a "Save as" always keeps the old scene. So why not push yourself as a writer and see what you come up with? I bet, just bet, you'll like the new scenes even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment