Friday, April 27, 2012

Combining a producer's notes with your writing

When you're finally working for someone else, there's going to be those times where they have what they want and that doesn't mean it's what you want. Of course you don't want to be difficult, so you have to do your best to please them and yourself. So how do you mesh the producer's notes with your own? As I'm doing a rewrite of a script I've had several passes on, plus another writer came in after me and before this last pass, I'm wondering who do I please most? Me? or the Producer? I've combined both versions in the way the producer asked me, so I got that down. But now I have to go over the script and make sure it's the best script that it can possibly be. I've done everything the producer asked. I definitely got rid of some things that I felt really did not belong, even if the producer thought they did. My feeling is that if I provide a really strong script, then that's what matters. I didn't do anything crazy to it, so it's not like there's anything jarring. But it's so hard to know if I've truly made it the best script possible. Sometimes when you're so close to it, when you've read it so many times, how can we tell? Well, I guess only time can. I think I'll sit with it, really go over everything I've written. Everything I've taken out. And hope for the best. I almost wish I was more cocky, because then I'd probably just cut more of the other writer's stuff with ease. But I'm not like that. I felt he was a good writer and well, perhaps some of his stuff does belong as is. It's a weird thing writing over another writer, at least for me. When I read another good writer, I don't feel envy, I feel inspired. So I read it and I go oh, okay, I can see what they were going for, and it's cool! But I think that actually might be a detriment to me as a writer if I'm keeping stuff that possibly doesn't belong there. I think I have to come in it with a clear idea of what the script needs. Come into it fresh and be willing to cut anything that can be. I hope I have that in me. And I guess if not, hopefully when the producer comes in, she will be the one who can. If not, there's always the director or the editor!

No comments:

Post a Comment