Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Part 3 of pitching when you're "there".

So this was what happened after we pitched to the Big Networks. The first time we pitched to the head of the Network. The next time we pitched to the head of comedy. I had a friend who has worked with her, and said we'd love her and that she would be more relaxed and easy to read, someone I'd see myself hanging out with. Sure enough, she was really great. We had practiced our pitch like we did the first time, so we had comedy in it, memorized it, really felt ready. And she gave us feedback that let us at least know she liked what we had to say. She laughed at the right spots, kept telling us, "Great pitch!" She really had a great time. It was what let me realize, I really enjoy doing pitch meetings. I really get a sort of high out of sharing ideas like this. You get such a charge with the excitement of doing it. I just feel really alive and am not shy at all, so I really enjoy the challenge, if that's what it is. Afterwards my partner asked me how we did. I was like, well, she kept laughing and saying how funny the idea was and "great pitch". Sounds good to me! It wasn't picked up, and like I said, I learned that unless you really have a history of working as a showrunner or head writer on a show, chances of selling something are slim to none. But still, I really enjoyed the experience and learned a lot. And our idea was something I was really proud of. In fact, I read about a year later that the writer of Veronica Mars sold literally almost the identical idea. I mean it was the same idea, but he didn't steal it. These things happen all the time. And I don't know the guy, and didn't tell him it, so obviously he just came up with it at the same time. I had a screenwriting teacher call it a zeitgeist. Said that ideas are floating in the universe and many people at the same time just pluck them out at the same time. So it happens. But it did show me, we had a great idea and for that, I'm proud. And like I said, this meeting lead to working with a TV producer friend. I already wrote about that last time, if you recall. If you didn't read it, I think you might enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment