Wednesday, April 18, 2012

How to do well in a brainstorming meeting

So yesterday was a big meeting for me. I seem to have had a few of those in the past week. So that's a good thing. Met with a producer friend on a show I think I'm going to be working on with him. We haven't really nailed down the details yet. This is a show he's worked on a few years now. And one of the Network execs was in town to discuss the show. Thought I could share some of my experience to help you learn from it.

So first off, I was told that the execs were coming and what they were hoping to change this year. He told me to watch last years clips that were still on the Network's site. So when you are in this kind of situation, please by all means, watch what they ask you to do. Then, see what other clips you can watch also based on this show you are going to be talking about. Then, look up everyone who's worked on the show in previous years. Try to figure out who the players might be and what else they've done. Then, take notes relating to what they asked to change. Ask yourself, if you were to make those changes, what would you want them to be? When you go into a meeting like that, you want to be as prepared as you possibly can be.

I was even supposed to have a phone meeting for something else I'm pitching, that morning. But I moved it because I wanted to be as prepared for the afternoon meeting with the execs. You can never give yourself too much time to be prepared, in my book. The more prepared you come, the better you look, and the more chance they'll want to work with you again.

So I arrive to the meeting early, which is also a good thing. When the Execs show up, they're nice, easy going, people. So they make me feel comfortable right away. Thank goodness! I of course know my TV producer friend, so that helps, but luckily everyone was nice.

So we start talking about the show, what they want, where they see it going. Now, normally in the past when I'm new to a pitch brainstorming session, I find I tend to be a little shy at first. But these people flew in from NY and it's the only day I'll get to brainstorm with them. So I don't have time to be shy. So I have to work up my nerve to just dive in with both feet. And you know what? They liked what I had to say. Of course not every idea was a home run, but I could tell they liked more ideas than not.

And I find just having an opinion, and being able to back it up, speaks volumes too. It lets them know your views on what you like. And that's a good thing. It helps them trust your abilities.

Also, all the homework and notes I took before I met them, spoke volumes too. I wasn't left wondering what they were talking about. I wasn't left saying, "What show? What sketch?" I had seen everything, I had formed opinions, I could call upon segments I watched. It all gives them the impression that I am ready to work and ready for this meeting and I'm going to work as hard as they need me to.

So overall, it went pretty well. I don't know what the next steps are as far as my involvement goes, because my friend and I didn't get to discuss it yet. But hopefully there will be more meetings like that. It sure was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment