Wednesday, May 30, 2012

How to write when life hits you a blow

I don't know about you, but when I'm going through something sadly huge, like the death of a loved one, I just can't write to save my life. Now, I write comedies. So maybe that's why. I can't be funny when I'm crying my eyes out. Call me crazy! But, as a writer, I always feel like I should be writing almost every single day. So, what is one to do when life is too tumultuous to write? Well personally, I give myself that breathing room to go through whatever sad or bad event that has been thrown my way. I look at it as, well, maybe I'm supposed to take a break from my writing. The universe has knowingly put me through this emotional event, so it must not want me to write just right now. But being someone who never likes to feel like I'm not pushing forward in my writing career, I have to do SOMETHING to help my writing. So those are the times when watching movies in your genre are good. Or reading the latest screenplay books, if you have the mindset for it. Or reading scripts. Believe me, there have been times when none of that even matters, and whatever I'm going through just gets in the way. So I just watch as many comedies on Netflix that I can get my writing hands on. I always know when it's time to start writing when I actually care about writing again. I might not have all the emotional energy to do it. So I use a contest as a goal to inspire myself. I remember last year after my younger brother passed, I did that. I knew my script wouldn't be in the perfect shape to enter the contest. But just being able to use the deadline as a goal really helped me at least finish the first draft. Today I'm waiting to hear that my mom has safely come out of her exploratory surgery. I'm hoping for only the best of news. Luckily I have a concert to go to tonight to take my mind off of things. Because maybe I wouldn't have the emotional energy to write after this whole day of patiently waiting. So I'll watch my favorite artist as he inspires me. And reminds me that being creative and sharing it with the world, is a truly awesome thing. By tomorrow, I know I'll be ready to do just that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment