Thursday, May 31, 2012

Why I heart Jack White

Okay, if you don't know who he is, go find out now! Okay, kidding, sort of. Jack White is the brilliance behind the White Stripes. He's one of our generation's most talented musicians. It's not my opinion, it's just fact. He's like a true rock god. Seriously. Saw him last night at the Wiltern and wow, just reminded how amazing he truly is. Now I'm not just writing this to brag about going out. Because yes, I don't do much of that any more. But I'm writing it because of his passion to his art. We writers need to remember that that's our job too. That's what sets us apart from other writers who do not have that passion. See, Jack White's passion is so completely and consumingly intense. He doesn't hold back, he doesn't apologize for it, he just lets his passion come out in what he writes and when he performs. And as writers, we need to remember that's what we are supposed to do and be. I remember years and years ago when I was first discovering I wanted to write screenplays, and I would talk with excitement about certain movies I loved and why they were good. And some people who weren't into film would sort of look oddly at me, like, what's her problem? And I felt almost like I had to apologize for my excitement. But then another time not long after, I was around other writers who also loved the craft and loved true and utter talent, and they had as much passion for the craft as I did. And we all got so completely excited and that's when I realized, I don't need to apologize for my passion! There was no reason I needed to hold back. I just needed to find other people who were just as excited as me! And when you have that kind of passion, when you let it flow through you and your work, it becomes true brilliance. I mean think of you favorite movies or directors or actors, are they milk toast and bland? Or are they intense and almost shoot off the screen when you seem them? Of course it's the latter. And we writers, we need to pour ourselves into our work and not hold back. Go for it with all your heart and all your gusto. Because what's the point of writing if we're not going to do it 200%! So yes, Jack White is amazingly awesome. And seriously go look him up on youtube. If you don't get him, then keep watching him till you do. The guy is pure brilliance. Then once you've been inspired enough, go write your screenplays with as much passion and I promise you, you'll get noticed by Hollywood. It would almost be impossible not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment