Friday, February 24, 2012

good health makes for good writing

I'm going to be an advocate for good health and how it affects how you write. Sure, there are famous writers known for smoking and drinking and doing drugs of all sorts, and still being able to write the most amazing things. I can't tell you why and how they could accomplish such great feats on drugs. I guess it's just a different type of writing.

But what I can say, is that the more healthy you are, the better connection you can have to your own resources you can tap into. Think of it as tapping into your muses. We writers never really know where we get our inspiration or what tells us to write about one thing or another. Or why a certain character just seems to flow out of us. But I'll tell you, if you want that voice to be more clear and to have that connection to help the writing come pouring out of you, it's all from what kinds of things you put into your body.

If you feel good, you can write better. It's no different than putting better gasoline into a car and it running better. Food is our gasoline. And if we're eating healthy, getting exercise, getting proper sleep, we just have the ability to tap into the universe that's sending us our inspiration. I know it's worked for me.

And that even includes yoga or mediation. That's an even deeper level of tapping into the universe that unlocks our inspiration and creativity. I've been doing yoga two days a week regularly now, and boy, I just feel this extra magnetic connection to my inspiration as if it's flowing towards me. Maybe that's too hippie dippie for you to relate to. But hey, try it and see for yourself. You could surprise yourself!

I've also been doing things like walking outside more, instead of just being at the gym. Another way to tap into that universe of inspiration. Because the more nature we see, the more we're tapping into more creativity. It's sort of like for appreciating the world and nature, we get this added boost of inspiration and insight into our writing.

Now, I'm probably healthier than most people and most writers. I don't drink alcohol, I don't eat sugar, I'm gluten-free, juice every morning, eat organic, and workout 5 days a week. But I feel great. And feeling great allows me to have a lot of energy and a clear mind that allows me to stay up late and write when most people might have pooped out. So set yourself some health goals. See what you can accomplish. You just may surprise yourself and tap into some amazing writing resources you never knew were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment