Monday, February 27, 2012

Up and coming screenwriters don't need to watch Oscars

So this is the first year in my life where I didn't go out of my way to watch the Oscars. No, I'm not bitter. I don't hold any contempt towards the movies that do well or the writers who have made it. In fact, I wish them all the best luck possible and hope that someday if I write something Oscar worthy, I too could be there. But, the real reason why I didn't watch it, is because I am devoting so much time and energy and passion into my own writing, that I didn't think I should spend that much time watching TV when I could be writing on my own stuff. So write is what I did.

Like I've said in other posts, this is really the year where I put my writing first. Even if it means not watching the Oscars. And because of that, for the first time ever, I've barely seen anything that was nominated. Usually I'm the one who can tell you what deserved to win and what doesn't, and if someone was ripped off or slighted by the Academy. But this year, because I am truly focusing so much on my writing, I have no idea what deserved to win. And I kind of like that I didn't know this year. Because it means, I'm not using my only free time to watch other people's stuff, but to write my own things.

I remember years ago a writer I knew hadn't seen anything out in the theater. And I thought it so odd. I thought, how in the world will he learn what is out there or what is good if he's not watching other things? Well, you can. And you should. But watch what's in your genre. Or movies similar to what you get hired to write. We can't spend all our time watching every movie. So pick and choose what you have time to watch. And perhaps that means, not much at all.

I did watch the opening scene with Billy Crystal. I thought it was super cute. I did look on the internet today to see who wore the best dresses. And of course what actually won. But last night, while most of the world was captivated by who was going to win, I was writing and working on my latest comedy. So instead of being excited by the winners. I was excited by new pages that I wrote that I loved. I think that's way better than any Oscar any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment