Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Ode to Groundlings

So if you live in LA, you probably know what Groundlings is. Well, I can't say that for sure. As some friends at the ad agency I'm freelancing at this week, out of the three, only one had been there. But basically it's probably one of the top Improv places to study. And if you just like going to see comedy, then Saturday night shows are always a hoot. I highly recommend it.

I took Groundling's three intro classes years ago. No, I wasn't very good. Well, I wasn't bad. But you pitted me up against the actors, and well, they were better. But boy did I have fun. The reason I took the classes, is because I wanted to see if the improv classes would help with my writing. And boy did it! There's nothing like taking an improv class, or probably any acting class, to learn about characters. And Groundlings was no exception.

I learned that characters speak in the tone of who they are. That they see the world through that character's eyes and see the world from that view. I think this is a very important thing for any writer to learn and remember. Even in my writing group last night, one of the writers was so busy divulging the facts she wanted her characters to spew, she forgot that they have to embody their own personalities and set of seeing the world. And from that, that's how they see everything and act towards everything around them.

I also learned that each character talks the way that certain character would talk. Whether it's a Texan who likes living on a farm, or a Princess from England. Those two characters have a way about them, and that's who they are from start to finish. Even if they grow as your story goes on, they still embody those traits.

Another great thing that I learned in the classes, was to not get so stuck in my head. It's why I like writing, because I don't have to be funny right then and there. I can sit and rewrite until I'm funny. But it was really great to be forced into doing something right then and there. Oh sure, the actors were better at that, because they'd been schooled in doing that for years. But that's okay. I didn't try and compete. They were just good exercises in forcing me to just let go and not judge what I was saying or doing. I think sometimes it's important to do that with any writing. We writers tend to be so critical of ourselves and our writing. I think it's good to not always be that way and to just let things out, just let it flow.

And really, Groundlings was just fun. I really enjoyed being around such talent, even at the beginning stages of their improv career.

Now, all the big comedic actors have probably came through Groundlings at one time or another. Like Jimmy Fallon, Will Forte, Cheryl Hines, Mindy Sterling, Kristin Wiig. The list goes on and on! So, as you can see, the place is pretty darn good. And like I said, if you're up for some laughing, I highly recommend a show. So, if you do go, be sure to tell them I sent you! http://www.groundlings.com/shows/now-playing.aspx#

No comments:

Post a Comment