Sunday, December 11, 2011

Write as if your life depends on it

So I haven't written about this until today, I was hoping I could pretend it wasn't bothering me, but I found out two weeks ago one of my best friend's ex husband's was killed crossing the street. The memorial was today and it was just way too sad. He left behind an 8 year old daughter. I've noticed I haven't been writing as much as I usually do, and I couldn't understand why. But I obviously know now, that the sadness of all this has just been too much for me. So I think it's also why I started the blog. It gave me the ability to sort of be writing, even if it wasn't on a script. I did start writing my first character for my new script two nights ago, but didn't get very far. And that's so not like me. I'm usually writing every single night. At first I thought it was just that I've been sick off an on for two weeks. But now I can tell, it's the sadness of all this that's getting me down. I know I can force myself to write tomorrow night. I'm pretty good about just telling myself what I need to do when it comes to writing, and then just doing it. I think I needed to get through the memorial so that I could write. But today, I just need to be sad.

My younger brother passed away this year too. And I remember all I could do was watch comedies for awhile and not write at all. The only thing that got me writing again, was knowing the Nicholl's was coming up. I knew it was just a first draft and wasn't going to be ready, but it gave me something to shoot for, and I did reach the goal of getting it done. So sometimes, when life keeps you from writing your best, just do the best you can. At least I got a first draft even with my sadness. And then once you have a first draft, then you can always rewrite. But you can't rewrite anything you haven't finished.

The one thing I have learned with all this sadness, is that life can be short. Even if you die at 100, you still probably go, "wow, how did I get here so fast?" So the message is, to live life to the fullest. To follow your dreams, and to not let them pass you by. You don't want to get to the end of your life, wishing you had gone after your dreams. You want to take life by the horns, and enjoy it. So as soon as I feel ready to brush off my sadness, I'm writing more characters. And if it works out, that will be tomorrow night. As for tonight, I'm going to drown my sadness in 30 Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment