Friday, January 13, 2012

Freelance writing pays the bills

So I'm super close to having some amazing things happen with my screenwriting. But until that does happen, I need to make a living. So that means, looking for freelance writing gigs. Freelance copywriting jobs to be exact. I have been freelancing for years, but the reality is, it's kind of a lucky thing I have because I really haven't had to look for any of that work. In fact, when I started working again after I had my son, some ad friends called me up and almost begged me to come work for them, and it was from home. Since my son was still little, I wasn't sure I was ready to start working. But my husband saw the benefit of two paychecks, and said, "Uh, they're offering you money. How about try it?" And voila! I was back in the work force.

And I'm pretty lucky it happened that way. Because I got used to making money, and that second paycheck really did help out. Especially because my husband is a freelance music producer. So we never know when we're going to get paid by his clients. So having a weekly paycheck from me, works out pretty nicely.

So when that first gig ended, which lasted three long years, then I realized, wow, we really could use that extra money. So last year I started to put out feelers for freelance writing jobs, but barely did, and then got some jobs that lasted all year. Unfortunately, it ended right before the New Year and I'm left realizing, wow, we really do need that extra paycheck. So now I'm finally looking for real, for a job for the first time since we had our child.

I'm pretty resourceful, and looking for freelance isn't the worst thing in the world for me. Some people are not good at it, do not like it. I don't mind once I get the hang of it. And since I've worked in this field for over 10 years, I've built up a lot of contacts. So, if all goes well, I'll have some nice gig before I know it. And if my screenwriting turns out as wonderfully as it seems like it will this year, then I can move right into that when I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment