Saturday, January 14, 2012

screenwriting events can get in the way of screenwriting

So a friend recently sent me a link to an event out in LA where some really interesting TV writers were speaking. Of course they were cool shows, great writers, and it all sounded really fun. Only for $10. What a great way to spend the night right? Well, I must say, I've kind of stopped going to see other writers speak about their great careers. I noticed that going to those things started to seem like a way not to write.

I know people always find things to get in the way of writing any way. Everyone's lives are busy. So adding anything, even if it's to inspire you, can just take away writing time too. Yes, of course, once in awhile is fine. But there are always so many of those, especially in LA, you really have to ask yourself, "Am I using this as an excuse to not write?" It might not feel like it, but it's funny how we can mask doing things for your writing that is not moving your writing forward.

At some point you have to take out the computer and actually write the script. Take the finished script and submit it to producers. Get what you create to come out on the screen. And anything that isn't moving that forward, has to be given up. It's the same in our stories, our characters always have to be moving forward right? So then, our career has to too. And if we're constantly having an episodic life, guess what, that's boring for us too! It might not seem like it from the outside. Sure you might see some way cool Hollywood writer talking about the way cool Hollywood actors in his show or movie. But again, do you want to just listen to a writer talk about it, or have that be you up there someday? I'm opting for the, "it being me up there" someday. And believe me, when it's my turn, I'm not going to do so many that I don't have time to write at that point in my career either.

No comments:

Post a Comment