Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Producer keeps me hanging

So my lunch with the producer has been put off again! This is the second time. And I don't blame the guy. I know they get busy. But I've been nervous about it each time. I feel like my emotions get all rattled when I think it's happening and then smashed and dashed when it doesn't. Maybe it's better. By the time we actually do meet I won't even be expecting it so I'll be all nonchalant about it. "Big producer blah blah blah. Works with huge stars, blah blah blah." Maybe that's the best way to be. I mean, I always knew I should be more calm and okay about it. But that's easier said than done sometimes. So at least this way, now maybe I will feel that way.

And I always knew that once we started our lunch meeting I'd feel fine about it too. He's a nice guy. And I felt super comfortable with him when we pitched to him in his office. I instantly felt at ease. I knew it was just the leading up to it that I got nervous about. I guess because it's a real opportunity and it's him wanting me to write something for him, instead of me pitching to him and hoping he'll buy something. So why should I be nervous about that?! I guess on paper I shouldn't. But again, easier said than done. Oh well. Now I have to wait to hear from him. Again. Until then, guess I'll finish my outline for my other comedy. I guess the good thing is, there's always something else to write, when you're a writer.

2 comments:

  1. Great article and timely. You are moving forward with or without the meeting. Always be moving forward like you are with your comedy outline. Look at it like "You are working in a meeting with this producer as well." Your time is equally important and so is your talent. The best way for me is to center myself and focus on what I do have control over — writing. Your lunch is just that—another chance to show your talents and network. I recently had to wait a half an hour before my pitch meeting as THEY were running late. My mind was racing, "maybe they already hate me? Maybe they changed their minds?" It was really going to throw me off being prepared. I was mindful of my fearful thoughts, centered my mind and stayed in the moment. They took my meeting and it was my best pitch meeting I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, your reply made me chuckle, in a good way. I think because it's nice to know I'm not the only one fearful in my own mind. I guess it's part of being a writer. Part of being in this business. It was way cool hearing your experience. I can only imagine what it was like for you sitting there for 30 minutes! OMG! And I love that you centered your mind. That's exactly what I've been trying to do. But hearing you say it, wow, was really powerful, reminding me, yes, I have to do that!!! Any way, thanks for sharing! You really helped!

      Delete